Alpine takes bypass tunnel on vital rail corridor Jul 2012
Peter Kenyon, TunnelTalk
- Alpine, the Austrian subsidiary of Spanish tunnelling and civil engineering firm FCC Construcciones, is awarded the contract to excavate a 3.5km freight bypass tunnel along the busy Western Railway line in Austria.
- Project scope for Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB), includes NATM excavation of the single-tube twin-track Pummersdorfer tunnel plus the laying of 9km of double track rail along a route identified by the European Union as Priority Project 17 (PP17). The design specification is for a shotcrete-lined tunnel with an excavated cross section of 120m2.
- PP17 also includes the construction of a new high-speed rail line between Stuttgart and Ulm in Germany. With half the 127km alignment in tunnels, the project is aimed at improving east-west rail transit times along the Paris-Strasbourg-Stuttgart-Vienna-Bratislava corridor.
- By creating a freight rail bypass around the Austrian town of St Pölten passenger trains will be able to run more frequently, improving journey times along Austria's busiest rail line.
- The portal structures at the eastern and western ends of the tunnel have already been completed, and the mined tunnel is scheduled for completion by the end of 2014. Two smaller tunnels will also be constructed along the alignment as part of a separate contract.
- The new 24km bypass, plus associated realignment of the A1 highway and construction of the link with the existing Western Railway track at Wagram and Rohr, is scheduled for completion in 2017.
- The entire project cost, covering the four-track development of the Western Line between Vienna and Salzburg, the rail bypass along the St Pölten-Loosdorf corridor, and associated construction and bridge building work is estimated at €850 million (US$1.05 billion). Alpine's contract to excavate the Pummersdorfer tunnel and prepare the ground for a further 9km of ground level track is valued at €80 million (US$98 million).
Major tunnel station and tunnel awards on Stuttgart-21 - TunnelTalk, March 2012
Bids sought for Wendlingen-Ulm tunnels - TunnelTalk, November 2011
Tunnelling starts for Austria's longest rail link - TunnelTalk, July 2011
Strabag selects Aker Wirth machines for Koralm - TunnelTalk, May 2011
Brenner Base Tunnel – let the works begin! - TunnelTalk, April 2012
Design considerations on approach to high-speed rail connection in Austria - TunnelTalk, February 2008
Inn Valley underground rail ready to open in Austria - TunnelTalk, December 2011
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.