DISCUSSION FORUM Underground plans in South-East Europe Apr 2012
- South-East Europe is a region with high expectations and a huge demand for general infrastructure and projects that require underground space. Development of the region is decades behind its West European neighbours, with many suffering economic neglect both during the Soviet era and in the aftermath of the break-up that followed.
Dr Davorin KOLIC, ITA Croatia,
Society President, Zagreb, Croatia
- In a rewarding show of togetherness and mutual cooperation, senior government ministers from South-East European nations came together under the auspices of the International Tunnelling and Underground Space Association (ITA) at a symposium hosted by the Croatian Association for Tunnelling and Underground Structures to discuss a number of mega transportation projects all awaiting secure funding to take them into construction and realisation (Part 1 of the podcast with the corresponding PowerPoint presentation for download).
- In the panel discussion that followed, (Part 2 of the podcast), the funding of mega-projects in the South-East European region was examined at length with the experiences of each country represented by their senior ministers and delegates. Contributions from the conference audience expanded the topics and added to the discussions.
Members of the Business Forum at the First Scientific Congress
on Tunnels and Underground Structures in South-East Europe
Podcast – Part 1 – Presentations in order as below Play Download (1hr 4min)
Podcast – Part 2 – Discussion Forum Play Download (1hr 9min)
- The podcast recordings give a comprehensive overview of the state of need and development of these South-East European countries, and the possibilities for funding the projects, including the availability and application of EU funding as well as the advantages and pitfalls of PPP (public-private-partnership) procurement.
- Use of underground space symposium, Dubrovnik, Croatia - TunnelCast Video, April, 2011
Birth of an urban underground project - TunnelCast Video, June 2011
Underground concept for Croatia's Ombla project - TunnelTalk, March 2011
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.