NFM to build EPBM for Moscow metro Jun 2012
NFM Technologies News Release
- NFM Technologies is selected to manufacture a 6.6m diameter EPBM to be used in the construction of one of the principal sections of Moscow's second circular metro line.
Moscow's second circular line (dotted orange)
- The TBM, to be built on behalf of SMU ENGEOCOM, will be used to excavate twin running tunnels spanning 6.2km between Hodynskoe Pole and Delovoy Tsentr stations in the northwest of the Russian capital. Two new intermediate metro stations, 2km apart, are also to be excavated.
- The new line is part of an ambitious programme drawn up by Moscow transport authorities to increase the city's metro coverage by more than 70km. It will link in with radial Lines 7 (pink), 4 (light blue), 2 (green) and 9 (grey), considerably reducing pressure on the first circular line that was built back in the 1930s (Fig 1).
- Geology is expected to consist of mainly limestone, clay and sand.
- The machine is to be manufactured at NFM's factory in Le Creusot, France, with delivery scheduled for the end of this year (2012). Construction is scheduled to begin in 2013.
- NFM Technologies, the French designer and manufacturer of TBMs, has already provided two machines for the Russian market, specifically for the Kazan Metro.
Top down TBM escalator drives - TunnelTalk, February 2009
Metro bomb attacks heighten worldwide alert - TunnelTalk, March 2010
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.