TBM RECORDERDouble TBM order success for Terratec 4 June 2014
Terratec News Release
- Terratec secures orders for two TBMs for excavation of a new line of the Istanbul Metro and of a long-drive hydro project in Laos.
Testing complete for Istanbul TBM 3 Sept 2014
Terratec News Release
- Successful workshop testing and handover of the machine that will excavate a section of the new Mecidiyekoy Mahmutbey Line in the Turkish capital of Istanbul is complete.
- The official ceremony was held on Terratec’s facilities in the presence of representatives from the client, a joint venture of Gülermak/Kolin /Kalyon (GKKJV).
- The 6.56m diameter EPBM features a versatile electric-driven cutterhead and active articulation of the shield, all designed to cope with Istanbul’s mixed geology, which includes rock formations. The cutting tools are interchangeable with 17in roller disc cutters. The 300mm thick lining features universal type segments with an i.d of 5.7m and a width of 1.4m.
- “We are pleased that the Terratec TBM was ready in great time and look forward to great performance when it arrives on site,” said the JV’s Vice Project Manager, Emre Çelik.
- In Istanbul a 6.56m diameter EPBM is procured by the Gulermak/Kolin/Kalyon JV for construction of the Mecidiyekoy Mahmutbey Line, a rapid transit line that will supplement the existing metro system. The new line consists of 15 stations, will be 18km long and is expected to enter service in 2017. The machine will be used to excavate the underground sections that run through the Turkish capital’s mixed geology, and is expected to complete factory testing by the end of August (2014) prior to transportation to the jobsite and the start of excavation before the end of the year.
- In Laos, South East Asia, tunnelling subcontractor Seli Overseas has procured a 5.74m diameter Terratec hard rock double shield TBM for construction of the low pressure headrace tunnel that will serve the new hydro facility in Xe Namnoy. The TBM will install hexagonal concrete segments as it completes the 11.5km-long tunnel, and its cutterhead has been designed to bore through the two main formations along the alignment – the Tholam Formation consisting of mudstones and siltstones; and the Champa Formation consisting of siltstones, sandstones and conglomerates.
- The project is being developed by the main contractor SK Engineering & Construction, with Seli Overseas subcontracted to complete the tunnelling works. Full project scope includes construction of a diversion weir, two combined concrete and embankment dams, a headrace tunnel and shafts, a penstock, an open air powerhouse, switchyard, tailrace channel and a 230/500 KV transmission system.
- Earlier this year Australia-based Terratec rolled out the last of eight TBMs for Phase III of the Delhi Metro, and the company has been especially successful in Thailand where it has supplied TBMs for construction of Bangkok’s new metro system as well as microtunnelling equipment for a massive water diversion project in the country.
Thai river crossing challenge for Terratec – TunnelTalk, February 2014
Terratec rolls out final TBMs for Delhi Metro – TunnelTalk, January 2014
Bangkok Metro Blue Line Extension begins – TunnelTalk, September 2012
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.