TBM RECORDER Terratec rolls out Delhi Metro TBMs Dec 2012
Terratec News Release
- The first of six Terratec TBMs on order for Phase III of the Delhi Metro by the JV of Metrostroy OS of Russia and ERA Infra Ltd of India has been commissioned and accepted after a successful workshop performance test.
6.61m EPBM first of six set for Delhi
- The machine was manufactured and accepted in just seven months from receipt of order, which is a record for this class of TBM. The second machine for the project will be tested and accepted by the JV also before the end of the year (2012).
- The machines on order are 6.61m diameter EPB shields which are designed specifically for the conditions to be encountered. They incorporate state-of-the-art features including VFD electric drive of the cutterhead, a versatile design of the cutting tools that are interchangeable with 17in disc cutters, active articulation of the shield, and a two-part through-the-tail-skin annular grouting system.
- The TBMs will excavate twin running tunnels between Kashmere Gate and Jama Masjid Stations for the Metrostroy OS/ ERA Infra Ltd JV's Phase III Contract CC-07. Each TBM will bore approximately 2,040m, erecting a universal ring of 1,400mm thick precast concrete segments as they progress to build tunnels with an o.d. of 6.35m and an i.d. of 5.8m.
TBMs will work on contract CC-07 of Delhi's rapidly expanding metro
- As the capital city of India and the largest commercial centre in northern India, Delhi is advancing an aggressive programme of metro expansion following completion of Phase 1 (65km) and Phase II (125km) and the airport express link (23km) in 2006, and 2011 respectively. Some 41km of the Phase III extensions and 28 stations on the total 140km and 92 station of the approved works is underground with more than 20 TBMs expected to be in operation simultaneously to complete the bored tunnel sections. Long sections of cut-and-cover work are also included.
- Phase III focuses more on the outer lying areas of the city and on connecting the long radial lines of Phases I and II with circular ring lines to help reduce travel distances and relieve congestion on existing radial lines.
- Phase IV, with an in-service deadline of 2021, will add another planned 100km to the system.
- By the end of Phase III, the Metro will cover 70% of Delhi's vast metropolitan and urban area.
Terratec delivers for the Bangkok Metro Blue Line Extension - TunnelTalk, September 2012
Delhi Metro emerging - TunnelTalk, March 2002
Delhi Metro meets Commonwealth Games deadline - TunnelTalk, October 2010
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.