Technical Program with a punch Apr 2010
- More than 200 papers from more than 500 submissions have been selected for the combined oral and poster presentation at the World Tunnel Congress in Vancouver in May.
- "The response to the call for papers was excellent" said Rick Lovat, Congress Chair and member of the Tunnelling Association of Canada. "The standard of the submissions was also very high. It was difficult to make the final choices given that we have allowed a full 15 minutes for the oral presentations, to give each its due, and there is a limit to the number of simultaneous sessions your can run and do the themes, the presenters and the delegates justice at the same time. We have therefore organised the program into eight sessions of three simultaneous tracks across three days and have reserved a dedicated two-hour session on Tuesday afternoon for review of nearly 100 poster presentations set up in a large open area of the Convention Centre adjacent to the exhibition hall. To draw further attention to the poster presentations, there will be an awards ceremony to recognise the posters of more exceptional content. We plan in this way to make maximum use of the three days that delegates will have in Vancouver and at the WTC."
- The technical program drawn together by the organisers from across the globe address the Congress theme "TunnelVision Towards 2020" and is divided into the following main categories of discussion:
- • Innovative Techniques and Advances in Geotechnical Investigations for Tunnel Projects
• Tunnelling in Soft Ground
• Hard Rock Tunnelling
• Tunnelling in Weak Rock
• Tunnelling under High Stress Conditions
• New Advances and Innovation in Mechanized Tunnelling
• Tunnelling under Sensitive Structures
• Geotechnical Instrumentation and Monitoring
• The Use of Underground Space
• Rehabilitation and Repair
• Risk Assessments
• New Advances in Contract Practices and Procurement
• Commercial Aspects for Tunnel Projects
• Tunnel Lining and Grouting
• Innovation and Research for Tunnelling
• Sequential Excavation and Sprayed Concrete Linings
• Safety in Tunnelling
- Click here for a full listing pdf of the Technical Program
- For the first time at an ITA-WTC congress, Vancouver 2010 offers the opportunity for speakers to have their presentations video recorded for further production into a valuable addition to project, company or product promotions. The service is offered by Black Swan Video Productions, a sister company of the WTC 2010 official web-media partner TunnelTalk. For more details send an e-mail to BlackSwan@TunnelTalk.com. The recordings may also provide a useful archive of the Congress proceedings for sharing with those who were unable to attend the event.
- The WTC technical tours on Thursday May 20 include a planned trip across the Canadian/USA boarder to visit the Brightwater Conveyance Tunnel Project in King County just north of Seattle and, in the host city, a tour of the now operating Canada Line LRT with its extensive section of cut-and-cover alignment and system of twin-tube bored running tunnels between open-cut underground stations beneath the city centre. The limited number of places on the Brightwater trip are now filled and to register for the Canada Line visit, go to Technical Tours on the WTC2010 official website where you can also register for the following Social Events.
Sunday, May 16, Congress Welcome Reception, 19:00-21:00 (included in registration fee), West Ballroom of the Convention Centre
Meet and greet friends and fellow delegates and their partners and thrill to a program of Circus Acts and enjoy the music of the Ventos Wind Quintet
Wednesday, May 19, Congress Banquet, from 19:00, West Ballroom of the Convention Centre
Join delegates and their partners at the Gala Banquet and enjoy music and dancing with Dal Richards and his Orchestra
Monday May 17, Vancouver Dinner Cruise, 18:30 - 22:30
See the spectacular sights of Howe Sound, the coastal mountains and city lights. The evening includes cocktails, a lively jazz trio and a delicious dinner featuring our local West Coast Cuisine and hosted beverages.
Tuesday May 18, Film evening 18:00 - 19:30
Over Canada - An Aerial Adventure Film Come fly with Over Canada, the award winning aerial adventure, filmed entirely in revolutionary High Definition video. See Canada as you have never seen it before - a Canada you will never forget.
- A thoroughly entertaining, productive and memorable time is planned for all who attend the WTC 2010. The organisers took forward to welcoming all!
- For details of the full program visit http://www.wtc2010.org
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.