NEW PRODUCTS and INNOVATIONS Advancing software based management systems Dec 2010
ITC Engineering News Release
- By combining their know-how in the area of software-based process steering for tunnelling, Ed. Züblin AG of Stuttgart and VMT GmbH of Bruchsal have established the new company to jointly market efficient software systems for Process Data Management (PDM) in the construction sector. From its headquarters in Stuttgart, ITC Engineering GmbH & Co will also focus on further developments of the web-based expert system for infrastructure projects IRIS (Integrated Risk and Information System). Using IRIS, the established CBP (Controlled Boring Process) and Hydra (High Performance System for Data Storage, Reporting and Analysis) product lines are combined to provide a highly efficient and unique process data management system in the area of infrastructure design.
- "In industrial processes with a high degree of mechanization such as mechanized tunnelling and specialized underground works the flood of data and information is permanently increasing", explained Manfred Messing, Executive Managing Director of VMT GmbH. "ITC Engineering develops software systems that support companies and their construction sites in terms of data management and data analysis, resulting in a transparent construction process." ITC Executive Managing Director, Dr. Peter-Michael Mayer, added: "IRIS, developed initially as a software system for steering tunnelling and pipe jacking works, has been extended to cover other areas of infrastructure construction such as special underground works, bridge and road building." The aim is to handle major infrastructure projects regarding technical, operative and economical aspects both transparently and effectively with the aid of an efficient, web-based software solution. "Construction companies and all partners involved in implementation and control can therefore have access to a comprehensive and flexible concept", added Mayer.
- By combining the technical monitoring know-how offered by VMT with the extensive design and construction expertise offered by the Technical Head Office at Ed. Züblin, ITC will be capable of developing innovative solutions and services for its customers.
IRIS system features
• Merging and analyzing manual and automatic process data governing mechanized tunnelling, special underground works as well as geological and environmental monitoring in a central database
• Systematic processing and archiving of tunnelling data on ongoing tunnelling projects by monthly, weekly and daily reports; shift evaluation is realized via interactive shift logs
• Evaluation of TBM data, e.g. backfilling, cutting wheel pressure, hydraulic pressure of jacks, cutterhead speed etc., in combination with geological parameters from preliminary exploration and surface subsidence monitoring data
• Evaluation and visualization of monitoring data for assessing the TBM position, control movements, shield driving accuracy etc., in order to identify any possible risks as regards stresses inflicted on the tunnel lining
• Web-based recordings and evaluations of inclinometer and extensometer monitoring data on buildings at risk of subsidence in a joint database with tunnel and environmental monitoring data
Advantages of the IRIS system:
• Crosslinking geometric information with operative construction data analysis from tunnelling and special underground works as well as geological and environmental monitoring in a Web-based expert system
• Transparency and comparability of project data by means of a universally available and accessible standardized data platform
• Customized interactive analyses and documentation as well as open access for customers using their own program modules for the IRIS platform
• Integrated and automated risk analyses and warning systems across all IRIS application modules for the infrastructure sector
As one of the JV partners, Ed. Züblin is one of Germany's leading construction companies with about 12,000 employees and an annual construction output of about €2.5 billion. Today, the company is a member of the Strabag Group of Austria, one of Europe's leading construction companies. VMT was established in 1994 and is primarily concerned with the development and distribution of guidance systems for mechanized tunnelling for segmentally lined drives and pipe jacking. It also offers classical measurement systems ranging from simple axis and shaft setout, through all types of control measurements to complicated, highly-accurate quality control systems for large steel structures.
- ITC Engineering & Co. www.itc-engineering.com.
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.