Spadina extension awarded in Toronto Nov 2010
Shani Wallis, TunnelTalk
- Aecon Inc is awarded the first phase contract of the Spadina subway expansion project for a bid value of $279 million. The tunneling will start from the current subway terminus at Downsview station and extend across Sheppard Avenue to Finch Avenue. At the north-end of Downsview Park, an 110,000ft2 station will be built.
Spadina extension alignment
- Aecon tunnelling partners, McNally Construction and Kiewit Construction will excavate the twin 2.6km tunnel using two Lovat EPBMs and a pre-cast segmental lining both procured by the client. Work will begin next month and is expected to continue to 2014.
- Teri McKibbon, Chief Executive Officer of Aecon's infrastructure group said that the project will be planned and executed by their partners. Subsequent contracts will be issued shortly for tunneling the section from Finch through York University and north to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre.
- The Spadina Line extension is one of a comprehensive program of transit expansion projects being advanced by the City of Toronto and the Toronto Transit Commission to bring public rail transport to a wider service area.
- The projects include the Yonge Subway Extension and the Eglinton Crosstown LRT project, both of which include extensive sections of alignment in bored running tunnels and underground stations. The Spadina Line extension as the first of these projects is expected to open in 2015.
- Toronto Metro gears up for tender - TunnelTalk, Sep 2009
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.