TBM RECORDER First NFM TBM to Saudi Arabia for Metro Riyadh 17 April 2014
NFM Technologies News Release
NFM EPBM will work on the Red Line 3 project
- NFM Technologies has confirmed supply of a 10.16m diameter EPBM to the consortium awarded construction of the Metro Riyadh Red Line 3 in Saudi Arabia.
- The consortium comprising Impreglio SpA of Italy, Larsen & Toubro Ltd of India, and Nesma & Partners Ltd of Saudi Arabia has the contract to build the 40.7km of Line 3, the longest of the project. Line 3 runs in the east-west direction across the Saudi Arabian capital city Riyadh, with 20 stations and a 6km underground section.
- The NFM machine weighs 1,400 tonnes and is 100m long and will excavate a single-tube, double-track running tunnel for the system at a maximum depth of 40m through soil composed mainly of limestone and loam.
- The machine will be built, assembled and tested in the NFM workshops in Le Creusot, Burgundy, France and will be ready for delivery to the client this Summer.
- Valued at an estimated US$22.5 billion, the 176km Riyadh Metro investment covers the largest metro programme under development in the world at present, with procurement of six-lines and 85-stations grouped into five design-build packages that include supply of the rolling stock and installation of M&E in each.
- Preliminary designs for the near-180km system were carried out by consultants Dar-Al-Hanasah of Lebanon and Egis Rail of France. These base the network on 35.2km of bored running tunnels with a further 13.7km of cut-and-cover work for a total subsurface length of nearly 50km.
- Construction on all the lines is schedule to begin in this first quarter of 2014 with the project scheduled to be complete and in service during 2019.
Riyadh Metro moves into construction - TunnelTalk, July 2013
Add your comment
- Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments. You share in the wider tunnelling community, so please keep your comments smart and civil. Don't attack other readers personally, and keep your language professional.